Photobucket Married to my knight in dirty camo, raising our 3 beauties, and living the military life, home is where the US Air Force sends us! This is our way of sharing the everyday chaos and joy with our family and friends♥

Monday, December 12, 2011

Prayers Needed, Please

So I am the statistic that throws off the curve. You know that .1% that's left when something is 99.9% sure, accurate, or effected. My first pregnancy was ectopic. Meaning the fetus was growing in my tube and than the tube burst and lost half of my tube and ovary. My second pregnancy, and third and fourth, resulted in pre-eclampsia, or toxemia as it used to be called. In my fourth the pre-eclampsia actually presented after I had the baby.
We also had a terrible scare when I got pregnant with Ruby. During routine blood tests they due at the beginning of every pregnancy, it was found that I had a rare blood antibody, Kell. I didn't have it before, so they did a blood test on Steven.We learned that Steven carries the Kell antigen and he must have passed it onto Sadie-Mae, so when Sadie was born via c-section her blood mixed with mine. My body then produced an antibody to fight the antigen off. We were worried that Ruby may have the antigen as well, in which my body would try to kill her because it was trying to fight off the antigen. With lots of monitoring and some great American and British doctors, she was born healthy and happy. During the whole ordeal and many ultrasounds, they also had a large cyst on my left ovary which had to be removed during the c-section.
Now fast forward to a year ago. I was just not feeling right and was having some trouble losing all the baby weight. I went to the doctor and he did some blood work. Right after that we went home on our COT leave, continuous overseas tour leave, for a month. When we got back I found out there was something wrong with my blood work. So off I went to a University Hospital, a local Turkish hospital, to see an Endocrinologist. Let me just say that going there was a real eye opener. It was old, run down, and pretty dirty. There were patients on gurneys just hanging out in the corridors. I couldn't believe that I was actually at a hospital like this, it was truly something out of a World War II movie. I had a translator with me, but there was still a loss in translation. I visited this hospital a handful of times and the last time I was there the doctor diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. He told me I was just fine and that my hormone levels were normal at the moment, but with thyroiditis my levels would go up, or down, or could be normal. He told me to return to an endocrinologist every 6 months to recheck everything. I was one of the handful of women who develop thyroiditis after pregnancy.
Over the summer I noticed I was more tired than normal, but I quickly dismissed it because 1) we traveled to the states for the summer and we were jet lagged, 2)the girls were sick a lot and there's 3 of them, and 3)I was a single parent with Steven still in Turkey working. I experienced a some weight gain and a couple other little symptoms. When we got back in August it was time to go back to see the doctor. This time I was able to go to  a much nicer hospital. It was like a smaller version of an American hospital. Everything was clean and modern and I felt much better going to this one. I had some tests done and found out that I had 2 nodules on my thyroid. A week and a half later I went back in to have a biopsy done. Now I was under the impression that this was not serious at all, just a simple biopsy to see if the nodes had to be surgically removed or not. I equated these nodes as cysts that sometimes they form and grow and need to be removed, like the cyst I had with my pregnancy.
When I went in last Friday for the results, I was a little nervous. I thought it was a simple they need to be removed or not. She told me they needed to be removed, I thought I would be able to wait to have them removed after we moved to Nebraska. We were hoping that we could wait until then so that a language barrier wouldn't be an issue, and so that we could have family come in and help with the girls so that Steven could be with me. The doctor said the nodes needed to be removed sooner rather than later and tried to send down to the General Surgery right that moment, but I needed a referral from my primary care doctor first, so they translated the test results an told me to bring them to my doctor right away.
I couldn't help but read the test results on the ride home. I didn't comprehend the results at first, but I did after I reread it. The nodes were 'suspicious of malignancy' and 'suspicious cytomorphology for papillary carcinoma'. I started to panic in the car and I was with people I didn't really knew. Cancer? That word had never been uttered in the year that I was diagnosed. Not once. I didn't know anything about thyroid cancer, at all. Luckily I was able to get an appointment with my primary doc that afternoon and Steven was able to stay home with me and the girls, instead of going back to work like he was supposed to.
Steven and I have a wonderful primary doctor who explained everything and took in our concerns. Steven wanted to make sure that I wasn't treated or have surgery in a Turkish hospital. He is very protective when it comes to things like this since our ectopic pregnancy experience at Kent General Hospital in Dover, DE. They were absolutely horrible to me there and I was so out of it from the pain that I couldn't even comprehend what was going on or the fact that nobody there had any sort of bed side manner. Our doctor agreed with Steven that I should go up to Germany and have the surgery there. Sometime in the next 2-3 weeks I will go to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center for the surgery. So for now I sit and wait to hear when the surgery will happen. Steven is actually on his way up there right now for his sleep study so he'll know his way around there when the time comes for all of us to head up there.
The Air Force will pay to send me and Steven up there but not our kids. So we are hoping that we'll be bale to take the rotator up a few days earlier so that we don't need to pay for plane tickets for the kids. We'd rather pay out of pocket for the hotel stay than the pay the price of air fare, especially since it'll be sort of last minute. We'd also like to get up there early so that we can get a a lay of the land and have the kids settled in before I have to spend time in the hospital. The girls are pretty good at adjusting so I'm not really worried. I'm more anxious than anything to get this done and over with, especially since we move in February and Lilly is in school now. I just can't wait to return to a sense of normalcy, ha! I say that like we've ever had a 'normal' day. Between the 5 of us, life is always interesting. I just pray to God that He sends peace and patience our way in order to get through this. I know that I'm strong and we're strong and we will get through this no matter what.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment