Photobucket Married to my knight in dirty camo, raising our 3 beauties, and living the military life, home is where the US Air Force sends us! This is our way of sharing the everyday chaos and joy with our family and friends♥

Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's Next

So typically when you have thyroid cancer you have your thyroid removed and then have radioactive iodine treatment. A few weeks after surgery, you have a thyroid scan which shows you if the cancer has spread to any other part of your body, which then dictates how much radioactive iodine you need to take. Usually you start taking a thyroid hormone pill, since your body cannot produce it anymore, but a few days before the thyroid scan you are given a shot of thyrogen that will get rid of all the hormone in your body. They do this to 'starve' your body of it so that when you take the RAI- radioactive iodine- your body absorbs it quickly. The RAI then kills all leftover thyroid cells and consequently the cancer.
Unfortunately the thyrogen is no where to be found in Omaha right now. Which means I cannot take the thyroid hormone at all. Before thyrogen, patients would have to suffer through extreme hypothyroidism in order to starve the body for RAI. I get to do this the old fashioned way. Lucky. Me.
When the doctor called and informed me of this, you better believe I was scared. No one wants to hear that you have cancer, that you have to do this the 'old fashioned way', and that as a result of this you'll be so tired you won't be able to get out of bed. After being reassured that I'd be okay by the doctor and my mom and hubby telling me not to worry because I'm pretty darn stubborn when it comes to be sick or in the hospital. For goodness sake I was able to get doctors to discharge me in less than 24 hours after a c-section and
pre-ecclampsia, not once but for both Sadie and Ruby's births. I hate being sick and I hate whining about something I can't control even more. So here I am almost 4 weeks without thyroid hormone.

On the Mayo Clinic's website, it states:
At first, you may barely notice the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and sluggishness, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more obvious signs and symptoms. Hypothyroidism signs and symptoms may include:
  • Fatigue
  • Sluggishness
  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Pale, dry skin
  • A puffy face
  • Hoarse voice
  • An elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Muscle weakness
  • Heavier than normal menstrual periods
  • Brittle fingernails and hair
  • Depression
You don't realize how much your tiny thyroid controls until you don't have it anymore and and you don't have   any thyroid hormone at all. I knew that everyday I would just feel worse and worse. It's a rather ominous feeling, like watching a storm rolling in. You know it'll storm, but you don't know how bad it will be until it's right on top of you. I know the storm will pass, I just don't know when it'll be over or if there'll be any damage left from it.
I had my first blood test- to check my thyroid hormone levels- last week and they came back still in a normal range. This week my numbers changed slightly but not even close to the number we're looking for. This past Wednesday makes 4 weeks without any thyroid hormone and since my levels are where they need to be I have at least another 2 weeks until the next blood test.
Life right now is pretty tough. I'm not gonna lie or sugarcoat it. My body hurts, mood swings come out of no where, and I just want to sleep all day. I am just grateful for Steven and the girls. They have been so great and patient with me- more so Steven than the girls, ha! If the girls start acting up, I usually just have to remind them that I'm sick and need their help. I'm just hoping to make it until bedtime. I take things minute by minute and prioritize. I clean when I feel up to it and rest when I need to. I've been trying to fun things with Steven and the girls when he's home from work. I've also been stockpiling things to do, pictures to edit, and books to read for the RAI treatment. During the RAI treatment I need to be secluded for 3 days so that I don't expose anyone else to the radiation. If you know me, you know that I'd rather not be alone. When Steven takes the kiddos out so I can relax, I end up cleaning or twiddling me thumbs because I'm so used to the nonstop life of a mom. I'm not sure how I'll stay couped up by myself for 3 whole days, it may just end up being torture for me. So any ideas would be great, ha! Until then, I just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment